Why 7.4v/12v/22v/36v/48v Lithium ion Batteries Li Polymer Batteries Need UN38.3 Certification?
more and more batteries are required to take UN38.3 certification before shipping, especially in international transport via air and via sea. most of 7.4v/12v/22v/36v/48v lithium ion battery or lithium polymer batteries are required to test under UN38.3 first before shipping.
1. because to ensure the safety of air transportation and satisfy the customers'transportation needs for lithium-containing battery cargo, according to the relevant provisions of IATA Dangerous Goods Rules, the operational specification of rechargeable lithium-ion battery, namely UN38.3 (UNDOT) test, is formulated.
2. According to the requirements of civil aviation regulations, airlines and airport cargo handling departments should review the transport documents of lithium batteries, and the most important thing is the UN38.3 safety test report for each type of lithium batteries. The report can be provided by a third-party testing agency designated by civil aviation, or by a battery manufacturer capable of testing. If this test report is not available, civil aviation will prohibit the transport of lithium batteries by air.
3. UN38.3 refers to Section 38.3 of Part 3 of the United Nations Handbook on Transport Tests and Standards for Dangerous Goods, which is specially formulated by the United Nations for the transport of dangerous goods. It requires lithium batteries to be transported safely through height simulation, high and low temperature cycle, vibration test, impact test, 55 C short circuit, impact test, overcharge test and mandatory discharge test before being transported. All. If the lithium batteries are not installed with the equipment, and each package contains more than 24 batteries or 12 batteries, the free drop test of 1.2 meters is required.
What does UN38.3 Certification test? How does such certification ensure battery qualification is good for shipping?
let's have a brief view of UN38.3 Test Items and Qualification Criteria, which is list as below:
T.1 altitude simulation test
When the pressure is less than 11.6 kPa and the temperature is 20 + 5 C.
T.2 thermal test
The high and low temperature impact test was carried out at 75 2 and - 40 2 C. The storage time at the limit temperature was more than 6 hours, the high and low temperature conversion time was less than 30 minutes, the impact time was 10 times, the storage time at room temperature was 24 hours, and the total test time was at least one week.
T.3 Vibration Test
One reciprocating logarithmic sweep sinusoidal vibration was completed from 7Hz to 200Hz in 15 minutes, and 12 three-dimensional vibration was completed in 3 hours.
T.4 impact test
150 g, 6 ms or 50 g, 11 ms half sinusoidal impact, each installation direction for three times, a total of 18 times;
T.5 Outer Short Circuit Test
The short circuit lasts for one hour after the battery temperature returns to 55 2 C and the external resistance is less than 0.1_.
T.6 Collision Test
The 9.1kg weight was placed on the battery with 15.8mm rod from the height of 61 +62.5px. The surface temperature of the battery was measured.
T.7 Overcharging Test
Under the condition of 2 times the maximum continuous charging current and 2 times the maximum charging voltage, the battery was overcharged for 24 hours.
T.8 Forced Discharge Test
The battery is connected with 12V DC power supply in series to discharge forcibly with the maximum discharge current.
Resolution EK9-BE77v3 issued on 9 January 2015 requires that battery products (including battery-driven machines, hand-held tools and garden tools) must comply with IEC/EN 62133, Safety Requirements for Single Batteries and Batteries Containing Alkaline or Non-acidic Electrolytes and Portable Sealed Single Batteries and Batteries, and UN38.3, United Nations Recommendations for the Transportation of Dangerous Goods. Relevant provisions of Book Test and Standard Manual - 38.3 Lithium Battery.
Current GS certification standards for batteries in garden tools:
Current product standards for machinery/hand tools/horticultural tools (e.g. standard EN 60745 series) can't or can't adequately deal with the safety problems of "storage batteries", especially "lithium storage batteries". For example, the standard EN 60745-1 series only provides basic reference for component testing.
What kind of Lithium ion Battery need to test under UN38.3？
Battery Test Scope:
1. Various kinds of lead-acid batteries (such as lead-acid batteries for automobile start-up, fixed lead-acid batteries, small valve-controlled sealed lead-acid batteries, etc.)
2. Various kinds of power secondary batteries (e.g. batteries for electric vehicles, batteries for electric road vehicles, batteries for electric tools, batteries for hybrid electric vehicles, etc.)
3. Cell phone batteries (e.g. lithium ion batteries, lithium polymer batteries, nickel-hydrogen batteries, etc.)
4. Small secondary batteries (such as laptop batteries, digital camera batteries, camera batteries, cylindrical batteries, wireless communication batteries, portable DVD batteries, CD and MP3 player batteries, etc.)
5. Various primary batteries (e.g. alkaline zinc-manganese batteries, lithium-manganese batteries, etc.)
What can SINOLI battery do for you?
SINOLI battery is a professional lithium ion battery manufacturer since 2015. it takes more than 5 years battery expertise and experience in improving battery quality, because battery quality is the souel of SINOLI life. all SINOLI made batteries, 7.4v/12v/36v/48v, are in accord with UN38.3 and other EU required test and certifications. for any further question or requirement, please contact our sales engineer, he will give you further explaination and service in details thereto.