Founder and chief executive officer of the California energy storage alliance, Ms. JaniceLin introduced the U.S. energy storage services pricing practices, the main points are as follows:
1, energy storage can provide three kinds of energy products and energy services in four areas
Generally speaking, the main energy storage can provide three kinds of core energy products, one is the active power; two is reactive power; the other is the reserve capacity of three. The energy storage can be applied in all aspects of the power market, in order to change the three core products of energy storage into the services accepted on the market, so that the value of energy storage can be effectively determined. From the product to the service has four areas, namely, wholesale markets, transmission services, distribution services and retail services.
2, the key variables affecting the quantification of energy storage
Storage for independent system operator / regional transmission organization services (energy arbitrage, frequency adjustment, operation / non operation of spare capacity and voltage support, black start), to provide services for utilities (resource adequacy, distribution delay, congestion relief upgrade, delayed transmission upgrade) and provide for the terminal customer service (time-sharing electricity management, increase photovoltaic capacity and reducing the required power supply for payment and standby power), energy storage effect of key variables include: the quantitative value of market rules and incentives, renewable energy installed capacity, transmission congestion, aging infrastructure, power grid interconnection, regional location and time point, soft cost.
3, in California, the power industry is no longer stored energy and other power supply cost comparison
For example, as a means of regulation, energy storage power station is higher than the cost per kilowatt gas-fired power plants, however, the use of gas power plant was only 4.2%, and the rate of 99.7% energy storage power station. Energy storage devices can not only provide discharge, FM, peaking and spinning reserve services, but also can be used as a load, provide grid needs "negative watts".
4. In the case of the use of wholesale, transmission, distribution, retail and state of the 5 energy storage cases, the value of energy storage is reflected
1 in the wholesale market, the new England independent system operators in the use of energy storage services provided by FM has been much higher than the cost of;
2) in the field of power transmission, puget sound energy companies upgrade work on the role of energy storage were studied in transmission network, to realize the value of energy storage;
3) in the area of distribution, leakage can not ensure the safety of power supply in the event of natural gas storage, Sogal America's largest, in just 7 months to build a 94.5 MW /342 MW of the storage facilities. The rapid integration of these facilities to ensure the reliability of the distribution system.
4) in the field of self generation, California has developed incentives to encourage the installation of different sizes of energy storage and distributed generation. In the next five years, there could be $500 million, mostly for energy storage.
5) at the state level of target, approved by California governor Brown AB (2514 2010) act of common concern the storage requirements for the various stakeholders of the electric power industry, and set up in 2024, energy installed capacity reached 1.325 GW target. Energy storage is also the first in southern California, the full power of competitive procurement reflects the cost advantage.
5, the U.S. government plays a crucial role in promoting the development of grid storage market, there are three main ways:
1) the energy storage has become the focus of the power industry, energy efficiency is reflected in all aspects of the power sector, power generation, transmission, distribution and consumption, the government encourages the stakeholders of each link are objectively attention storage technology application and bring benefits, and understand the system cost drive factor is the basis for evaluation of energy storage benefit, that can be used as an energy storage technology to reduce the total cost of the system.
2) procurement objectives: considering the energy storage technology is so different from the traditional program, directly through the application of learning is very critical. Therefore, learning by doing process can not be avoided, the government encourages the application of specific projects on the procurement of various energy storage technologies.
3) the reform of the market rules: the government to ensure that the rules of the market can allow energy storage technology to fully participate in the operation of the power market and give full play to their potential, so that the same assets generate multiple benefits. Clear market rules and the resulting price transparency, so that the energy savings and the benefits can be monetized measurement.
6, the objective understanding of the cost and cost drivers of power sector is the key to understanding the energy storage based on time value
1) assess the current and future demand for electricity generation, transmission and distribution, and analyze the load forecasting system and the specific geographical location. Determine the cost of all resources in the annual infrastructure of the power grid to identify the marginal costs associated with local and system peak.
2 in the United States, the vast majority of the cost of the electricity sector (transmission / distribution / generation) is closely related to the peak value of the system. In Massachusetts, for example, 10% of the total running time cost of the total system cost.
3 (US) the design of the retail price of electricity in the United States recognizes this situation, promoting the use of time slots and capacity charges to divide more energy consumption levels. In California, for example, the capacity charge can account for 40% of the monthly electricity cost of the business customers.